Happy Earth Day!
This annual holiday began in 1970 to demonstrate support for environmental protections. Today, Earth Day includes a wide range of events and celebrations across the earth.
While Earth Day only happens once a year, there are plenty of things you can do to help protect the earth and “go green.” We’ve compiled a list of 21 ways to help the planet & celebrate Earth Day today and beyond.
- Minimize your consumption of single-use plastic.
- Reuse before recycling.
- Walk around your neighborhood and pick up litter to dispose of or recycle.
- Switch your lights off when you’re not using them.
- Use less water by taking shorter showers or cutting back on sprinkler use.
- Go digital! Get rid of paperwork and help the environment.
- Cut down on unnecessary travel.
- Turn your computer off when you’re not using it.
- Pack your own lunch to cut down on disposable packaging.
- Switch to low-energy light bulbs.
- Bring your own reusable bags to the grocery store to cut down on plastic bag use.
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Unplug electronics when they are not being used.
- Use rechargeable batteries instead of single-use batteries.
- Switch to a programmable thermostat to save energy while you’re away from home.
- Recycle old cell phones and electronics.
- Walk, bike, or use public transportation for errands two miles or closer.
- Shop eco-friendly products and stores.
- Start composting your food scraps.
- Plant a tree!
While many of these may seem like small changes, they can have a big impact on the health of our planet and all of us who live here. Happy Earth Day!